Monday 10 December 2012

Vegas, Baby

December on St Thomas means Vegas Night! This is an annual fundraiser that supports one of the local private schools. Its gives Seth and some of his buddies a chance to break out their tuxes. All the ladies make sure every last rhinestone, sequin, and feather on this little island is in attendance. (Some of the ladies should maybe invite a few extra feathers and sequins to help cover their who-whos next year...)


I am so glad I invested in a sequin pencil skirt last year after it went on post-New Year's Eve sale. It gave me something to wear when Seth and I made the night-before decision to attend Vegas Night this year. Then I spent 24 hours going more than a little crazy over what top to wear with it. I did not want to spend any money on a new one and I finally made a game time decision to wear a dress backwards as a ruffly blouse. (Usually it has a boatneck neckline and the ruffles are on the back.) Creative solutions are the best!

dress as blouse, Tucker for Target (old); skirt, Asos (old, similar); shoes, Carlos by Carlos Santana (super duper old); bag, Big Buddha (old); earrings, Swarovski (gift, similar); necklace, vintage Napier (similar)

Normally I get home from these events and wonder why no one told me my hair morphed into a humidity-induced disaster over the course of the evening. To avoid that frustration, this year I teased up the crown to give myself a retro ponytail. Then I hair sprayed the bejeebus out of it. I shellacked it so well that it stayed nearly perfect even after sleeping on it. So the next morning I just twisted the pony up into a bun and secured with bobby pins. It got me through the following (rainy) day, including a mid-morning brunch with friends in Charlotte Amalie and an afternoon holiday party.

shirt, Brooks Brothers (similar on sale); skirt, Express (old); shoes, J.Crew (found brand new at La Luna clothing swap); bag, BCBG (old); earrings, vintage; neacklace, vintage Napier; sunglasses, RayBan; umbrella, Totes (similar); 

Not bad. I should pull out the hair spray more than twice a year...

I also should suggest somewhere other than Gladys' for brunch. Haven't been in awhile but they didn't have breakfast on the menu anymore, which we didn't realized until after we'd ordered drinks. Trapped. So I had to eat a mahi sandwich at 11am on a Sunday. Not ideal. But anything that causes a weekend stroll down Drake's Passage is ideal. So I guess it all evened out in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment