Saturday 5 January 2013

I Pity the Fool (Who Doesn't Own Oversized Gold Chains)

Seriously. They're the shiz-nit. The woman sitting next to me on the flight back to St. Thomas said, "That's a really large necklace. What's the story with that?" I told her it didn't have a story and I was just wearing it because it was awesome. She seemed to find that an acceptable answer to her question.

chain and stripes
sweater, EcoSkin; jeans, Current/Elliott (via Twice); sunglasses, RayBan Wayfarers; shoes, 80%20 Tessa Boots (sold out, similar here or same boots but in floral pattern here); necklace, artisan (from Peabody/Essex Museum)
sweatshirt with chain
cotton/cashmere sweater, J.Crew Crewcuts; jeans, Current/Elliott (same as above); shoes, (same as above); bag, BCBG (old); necklace, vintage; earrings, vintage; 

I have two large gold chains. One is just large. One is obese American super-sized. Both of them make simple outfits feel a little more dressed up.

My large gold chain is choker-style. It's Napier from the '40s found at the SoWa Vintage Market in Boston last May. (The earrings are from a vintage store in Savannah where I also scored a Max Mara plaid blazer.) We went to the SoWa Market again this visit and I even revisited my favorite table but I didn't have the same luck.

chain detail

My obese American super-sized gold chain is from the Peabody/Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts. Their gift shop has an amazing jewelry section. I rarely buy jewelry that's not vintage but it was love at first sight when I laid eyes on this chunky lady. It was a not-so-surprise Christmas gift from Seth's family.

large chain detail

You know what else was obese American super-sized? Our feast of fresh fried clams and homemade clam chowder from Woodman's. We only eat there once every few years and I don't regret a bite of it.

woodmans

Okay, now for real. Go find you a chunky gold necklace. Or eat some fried clams. Or both.

A few other gold chain finds here, here, and here.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I found your blog on Luckymag.com. Love your blog and your fashion on it.

    If you get a sec, check out my latest post. I would love to read what you think of it.

    XO

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a similar necklace, though it's a bit less chunky. they're very versatile!

    ReplyDelete